Friday, August 13, 2010

Roger Ebert: Eat pray love


Elizabeth Gilbert's book "Eat, Pray, Love," unread by me, spent 150 weeks on the New York Times best seller list and is by some accounts a good one. It is also movie material, concerning as it does a tall blond (Gilbert) who ditches a failing marriage and a disastrous love affair to spend a year living in Italy, India and Bali seeking to find the balance of body, mind and spirit.
During this journey, great-looking men are platooned at her, and a wise man, who has to be reminded who she is, remembers instantly, although what he remembers is only what she's just told him.

I gather Gilbert's "prose is fueled by a mix of intelligence, wit and colloquial exuberance that is close to irresistible" (New York Times Book Review), and if intelligence, wit and exuberance are what you're looking for, Julia Roberts is an excellent choice as the movie's star. You can see how it would be fun to spend a year traveling with Gilbert. A lot more fun than spending nearly 2œ hours watching a movie about it. I guess you have to belong to the narcissistic subculture of Woo-Woo.

Here is a movie about Liz Gilbert. About her quest, her ambition, her good luck in finding only nice men, including the ones she dumps. She funds her entire trip, including scenic accommodations, ashram, medicine man, guru, spa fees and wardrobe, on her advance to write this book. Well, the publisher obviously made a wise investment. It's all about her, and a lot of readers can really identify with that. Her first marriage apparently broke down primarily because she tired of it, although Roberts at (a sexy and attractive) 43 makes an actor's brave stab at explaining they were "young and immature." She walks out on the guy (Billy Crudup) and he still likes her and reads her on the Web.

In Italy, she eats such Pavarottian plates of pasta that I hope one of the things she prayed for in India was deliverance from the sin of gluttony. At one trattoria she apparently orders the entire menu, and I am not making this up. She meets a man played by James Franco, about whom, enough said. She shows moral fibre by leaving such a dreamboat for India, where her quest involves discipline in meditation, for which she allots three months rather than the recommended lifetime. There she meets a tall, bearded, bespectacled older Texan (Richard Jenkins) who is without question the most interesting and attractive man in the movie, and like all of the others seems innocent of lust.

In Bali she revisits her beloved adviser Ketut Liyer (Hadi Subiyanto), who is a master of truisms known to us all. Although he connects her with a healer who can mend a nasty cut with a leaf applied for a few hours, his own skills seem limited to the divinations anyone could make after looking at her, and telling her things about herself after she has already told him.

Now she has found Balance, begins to dance on the high wire of her life. She meets Felipe (Javier Bardem), another divorced exile, who is handsome, charming, tactful, forgiving and a good kisser. He explains that he lives in Bali because his business is import-export, "which you can do anywhere" — although later, he explains she must move to Bali because "I live in Bali because my business is here." They've both forgotten what he said earlier. Unless perhaps you can do import-export anywhere, but you can only import and export from Bali when you live there. That would certainly be my alibi.

The audience I joined was perhaps 80 percent female. I heard some sniffles and glimpsed some tears, and no wonder. "Eat Pray Love" is shameless wish-fulfillment, a Harlequin novel crossed with a mystic travelogue, and it mercifully reverses the life chronology of many people, which is Love Pray Eat.

4 comments:

  1. Even Julia had to promote this movie ina very weird way, I am a Hindu now, that was pretty low by her standards. But then I guess movie is pretty bad, so that might be the only way to promote it

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't make much of an impression either though. I saw some of those "I'm a Hindu now" interviews in the American papers. Don't think anyone really cared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a guy who just got dumped by someone who started reading this book and then left me to go "find herself" after four good years spent together (and she did it over the phone while I was away for work). It broke my heart in ways I didn't even know possible, and I've had to convince myself that I wasn't crazy for having feelings of depression, abandonment and confusion ever since. Every time I try to contact her, she says we're not ready to be friends...but we used to be best friends, and I just don't know what happened. We were in a pretty good space when it ended, and I still don't know why it ended. We weren't perfect, but nothing ever is.

    She used to talk about the book a bit, but I never really thought that it was because she felt like something was missing, or that she just didn't think it was a good book (she's a writer too, with a book deal...so maybe she'll actually get to live this life soon). We actually talked about what we wanted and we gave each other so much freedom that I don't know why she couldn't have just talked to me about what she needed. I could never figure out what went so wrong, so fast. We had problems, but who doesn't? We're people...not flawless works of perfection. She just bolted one day, and it was like I never knew her. She was a different person when I got home, and it's only gotten colder since.

    I have to say that, in reading the up/down reviews of the movie, I honestly feel better today than I have since all this happened. I actually feel like I wasn't the one who messed this up, and that I'm kind of free from a totally self-absorbed and lost woman who I kind of pity now.

    Maybe she should have read "The Alchemist" instead of "Eat, Pray, Love".

    Thanks for the reviews, and for renewing my faith in people, life and love...I was pretty lost there for a bit thinking I was insane for hurting so badly. But, I'm just human, and maybe someone should tell the story of the husband who got left at the beginning of the story...I can relate to him much more than I can relate to her. She sounds just like my ex, and I kind of feel sorry for whoever she uses next to figure herself out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to hear that, Anon. I think people just tend to take excuses, find a way to lessen their guilt while doing something even they know is wrong, like your partner did.

    I believe in every relationship there comes a time when things appear to be little stagnant, kind of a drag, but running away from it, without caring about your partner, is nothing short of a screw up in itself.

    No wonder movie is not finding enough of audience, let alone people who actually liked it. Julia Roberts saying from the top of Eiffel Tower that she has endorsed Hinduism, Martianism, or any -ism, won't help this movie one bit, because people do understand that running away from someone/something for your individual gain is not a solution.

    And lets be honest, anyone who is too lost in the realms of fantasy world like Eat Pray, which is nothing less than Mills and Boon kinda vomit inducing literature, is not exactly a person worthy enough to live with in the first place.

    ReplyDelete