Thursday, October 14, 2010

Saif & Priyanka to star in "Two States" film: updated w/Midday article

From Midday:

(click to enlarge)

From Mumbai Mirror:

Now that the last controversy around the author accusing Rajkumar Hirani of plagiarism has run its course, filmmakers are being extra cautious.

Bhagat was once rather bitter that Hirani’s blockbuster, 3 Idiots, was allegedly lifted from his book Five Point Someone. Perhaps this development might put a smile on his chirpy face.

Siddharth Anand is all set to make his next film with Saif Ali Khan, which is based on Chetan Bhagat’s latest bestseller 2 States. This time, Anand has bought the rights.

Apparently, Aditya Chopra suggested it to Anand that he should make a film on Bhagat’s novel. (Wonder why he didn’t take it up himself though)
But unlike his other projects, Anand plans to shoot this one entirely in India. When contacted, he confirmed the news and said, “Yes I am making a film on the novel 2 States, which is a contemporary comedy and has been a huge success.

It is a good departure for me, since the film will be made in India.
My other four films were made using foreign locations.”

With Bollywood producers looking for the next best thing in terms of concept, the acquisition of this novel bodes well for writers. Anand added, “I bought the book and instantly fell in love with it.

After that I got in touch with Chetan, who was already negotiating with many filmmakers on the rights for the book. Chetan and I connected instantly and I am fortunate that he gave me the rights.”

However, the film is not a carbon copy of the book, insists Anand. When asked about the changes incorporated in the film, he said, “It will also be Saif’s next film after Agent Vinod and my fifth film, which we intend to start early next year. Sajid Nadiadwala will produce the film.

I am going to be as true to the book as possible but there will be changes. We will be shooting all over India, including Delhi, Ahmadabad and Goa.” Doesn’t that add up to 3 states?
 

SOURCE 

5 comments:

  1. I've read Two States; cheesy and cliched but perfect for a silly romcom. Saif should work well as a Punjabi guy but sadly I am expecting Deepika to get cast opposite him. The girl is supposed to be South Indian and Deeps it the first popular one I can think of.

    Chetan Bhagat seems obsessed with light skin though and keep repeating throughout the book how fair the girl is "more fair than North Indians" or something like that. Not an exact quote obviously since I read it long ago. If they're going to stay true to that, then maybe Aish if she's not pregnant by then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind, I spoke too soon. It will be Saif and Priyanka.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another romcom, and Saif as Punjabi guy brings up the horror that was Love Aaj Kal. Saif should get out of the romcom genre, I used to like him once upon a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why they're shooting in Goa is what I don't understand. Why don't they shoot in a real South Indian city like in the book? If they dub it, it might work with that audience too. But not if they are going to do this kind of stupidity. Goa, WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nia - a lot of the locales are chosen for logistic reasons. In most of India filming on location is nearly impossible due to population pressure. And sets are never the same thing.

    ReplyDelete