Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The gentle mellifluous genius – Jaidev!


On his birth anniversary, I thought I would share with you some of my favorite compositions from this master. The winner of three National Awards for his compositions in the films Ankahee, Gaman, and Reshma Aur Shera, he also composed the music for Harivanshrai Bachchan’s Madhushala. Trained under Ustad Ali Akbar Khan, his music always went back to his classical roots. His first break in film music came under the Navketan banner and he came into his won from Hum Dono onwards.
It is really hard to pick a few favorites, but I’ll try. My first favorite is from Gaman sung by Suresh Wadkar:

The second one, sung by the incomparable Asha Bhosle, is from Hum Dono – the song and the voice are to die for:
The third is from Mujhe Jeene Do – a luminous Waheeda dancing on a mirror like floor, and a dacoit (Sunil Dutt) mesmerized by her singing and dancing:

See more HERE

1 comment: