Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Midget: My wives maybe Hindu but kids will always follow ONLY Islam

Did you face any religious dilemma while you were married to a Hindu lady Reena Dutta and later on to Kiran Rao?
No, none whatsoever. We never practiced each other's religion neither did we force each other to do so. But, of course, I had made it very clear that my kids will always follow only Islamic religion.




Aamir Hussain Khan hails from a typically staunch, conservative and orthodox Muslim family originating from the Khan clan of Peshawar. Belonging to the Shia clan he has never hidden the fact that right from childhood he was quite liberal minded and moreover a rebel person at heart.

He has always made it very clear that more than believing in and having total faith in Islamic religion he has always and completely reposed his faith in 'Allah' (God), the one and only supreme power of the entire universe.

While his friends insist that he is not anti-religious at all but at the same time he is not a fanatic either. So sure enough eyebrows were raised when he married his childhood sweetheart a Hindu-Bengali lass named Reena Dutta and once again a Hindu belle Kiran Rao.

The first query on everyone's lips was would he go the Shahrukh Khan way as far as religious worship was concerned. But true to his words, Aamir Khan silenced his critics in this interactive session with Shaheen Raaj. Let's see how?

What does religion in general and Islamic religion in particular mean to you?
It may mean anything to me, that's secondary. I hate the division of religion in itself at the behest of mankind themselves. Like you just made a very uncalled for and a very discriminatory remark about religion!

In my eyes religion is religion. I really hate its classification. Anyways coming to the point, I would say that as far as I am concerned no I am not a highly religious person at all. I believe more in spirituality.

Moreover, I have always reposed my total faith in 'Allah' the only supreme power guiding and ruling this universe. I pray to him in my mind with every breath of mine. I don't have to seek out the particular 5 times only to offer him my respects.

In fact I have a direct conversation with him in times of happiness, in times of success and above all in times of sadness and failures too.

So what about the rituals and tenets of Islamic religion as preached by Prophet Mohammad (S.A.W), may peace be upon him, in the Holy book of Quran?
I am not saying that one should overlook this aspect of the Islamic religion. But I do believe in the principle of 'To each his own' what I elaborately mean to express is that whether I offer my 5 times 'Namaz' (5 times prayers) or not?

Whether I observe my 'Rozas' (Fasting) in the Holy month of 'Ramzan' or not? Whether I do the regular 'Tilavat' (Reading) of the 'Quransharif' (The Holy Book) or not? Whether I have performed my 'Haj' or 'Umra' (Both pilgrimages to Mecca and Medina) or not?

Whether I take care of the 'Zakaat' (2.5% of net yearly income to be disbursed to the poor and needy) the 'Fitra' (Protection of life of the widows and extremely needy people) and the 'Khairaat (Giving Alms to Beggars) or not?

All these are questions that I do not have to answer to one and all. No I am not answerable to anyone accept my 'Khuda' (God). Yes, I am also aware that when I take 'Rukhsat' (Good Bye) from this world I will have to face all the repercussions of all my 'Gunahs' (Sins).

So it could be 'Sawab' (Blessings) or it could be 'Ajaab' (Curse) considering the fact that 'Allah' ne mere hisse ki nekiyan bhi nazar andaaz na ki hogi (God has not overlooked the goodness in me).

To sum it up, I would say that meri nekiyaan aur meri badiyaan (My good deeds and my bad deeds) is something that is strictly an affair to be dealt with and considered by my 'Allah Miyan' alone.

So how do you observe the Holy month of 'Ramzan'?
Just as every true 'Mussalmaan' (Muslim person) does. But my policy is that ke main dikhawa karne yaa apne 'Allah' ki raah mein ki gayee ibaadat ki badayee maarne mein yakeen nahin karta hoon. (I do not believe in showing off my prayers and practices to the world).

Sorry to say but the mentality of some people in general is still very conservative. So at the slightest pretext they bother more about others 'Imaan' (Faith) and 'Aamaal' (Worship) rather than their own.

So it's not really surprising when you hear people making nasty comments behind my back, of course. For them Aamir Khan 'Namaz' nahin padta (does not offer 5 times prayers) ya Shahrukh Khan 'Roza' nahin rakhta (does not observe fasting) is more of a sensation than a food for thought.

Does anybody even bother or stop to give a thought that being a celebrity we do have a lot of limitations and other problems. And by this statement I am not at all justifying my stand on my own principles of religion.

Did you face any religious dilemma while you were married to a Hindu lady Reena Dutta and later on to Kiran Rao?
No, none whatsoever. We never practiced each other's religion neither did we force each other to do so. But, of course, I had made it very clear that my kids will always follow only Islamic religion. 

SOURCE 

44 comments:

  1. How open-minded and intellectual he is. NOT.

    What a completely offensive thing to say and as hard-line and fundamental as it comes. Imagine if some Hindu star made comments like this..Hrithik. The media would go wild.

    And this is the nutjob Indian college kids are running after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a bad bad bad interview.
    And honestly, doesn't suit the kind of image he has always been gunning for, thinking, educated intellectual actor.
    But then again all that can just be a garb to hide a hardliner Muslim.
    Again nothing wrong in being Muslim but whole "I had made it very clear that my kids will always follow only Islamic religion. " sounds really wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who said Aamir Khan is educated, he AFAIK is 10th pass.

      Delete
    2. hey education does not based on std's or degrees....

      Delete
  3. thats true, nia, had HR said that, or any Hindu actor for that matter, it would have been making front pages and all 24x7 news channels would have been around him like vultures. but sometimes being minority gives you a free pass, and Aamir seems to be exploiting that pass

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmm..some paraphrasing.connect the dots..

    "I would say that as far as I am concerned no I am not a highly religious person at all. I believe more in spirituality."

    "For them Aamir Khan 'Namaz' nahin padta (does not offer 5 times prayers) ya Shahrukh Khan 'Roza' nahin rakhta (does not observe fasting) is more of a sensation than a food for thought."

    "But, of course, I had made it very clear that my kids will always follow only Islamic religion. "

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry - KB I do not get your points. How do those dots connect in any nice way?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last statement sounds conservative and first two comments suggest moderate. I am suggesting last statement probably are not exactly spoken words but some paraphrasing by journalist if this interview indeed took place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. from an old interview

    http://www.sabrang.com/cc/comold/august98/story.htm

    "What about the upbringing of your children?

    Junaid, our son who is five–years–old (Ira, my daughter is only two months old) has been encouraged by both Reena and myself to learn about all the religions — pre–dominantly Hinduism, Islam and Christianity. So we answer all his questions regarding all three religions as fairly and honestly as we can."

    ReplyDelete
  8. further digging, this is a concocted interview from an old interview

    http://www.bollywhat-forum.com/index.php?topic=1139.0

    ReplyDelete
  9. You mean he never said that!!!????

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can not say for sure but I saw the problem as soon as I saw that comment. That is why my initial skepticism and further digging gave me those links. If you search for Shaheen Raaj, you will get lots of gossipy topic. He may have given that interview but those lines don't gel with rest of the interview or previous stances.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You could be right. Though I have to say that his kids names, Junaid and Ira, are not exactly "secular" even though their mother, Reena, has custody of the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pardesi: From above interview

    "How did you choose the names of the children and what about things like religious initiation ceremonies?

    One of our children, our son, Junaid, has an Islamic name, and our daughter, Ira has got a Sanskrit name. But this was not a conscious decision. In fact, after our son was born we were torn between two names, Vivan and Junaid. Vivan is a Sanskrit name while Junaid, happens to be an Arabic name. The only reason we opted for Junaid was because Naseeruddin Shah’s son was already named Vivan. And Reena, for that reason alone, pitched for Junaid. Junaid means spear-carrier and Vivan means way of life. Ira is another name for Saraswati, the goddess of knowledge."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Read this interview it tells his position more clearly

    http://www.sabrang.com/cc/comold/august98/story.htm


    Only purpose of this rehashed 5-6 year old interview on Sampurn wire by same interviewer is probably sensationalism.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Read the interview, but now I am even more perplexed! Did he never say that about bringing his children up in the Muslim faith? Is it made up?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything is fine except thos two lines which seems out of place like forcing the kids to follow Islam. It is not bad in isolation (who doesn't want their kid to follow his/her religion/culture) but when you have (public)image and previous instances where you said you won't force your kid, this sounds fanatical; Hence my skepticism about this interview.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, I get it, you think the interviewer made it up! That would take some guts and truly unethical journalism, neither is unknown in film journalism.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think a comment like would be fine in isolation either. Wanting your kids to follow your religion is one thing but they are not just his kids..their mother is Hindu.

    Granted that Indian entertainment journos are scumbags who can easily make things up. I don't see why they would right now though considering the whole media is currently pimping Aamir day and night. These people don't touch his affairs with other women and illegitimate children or even make one peep about him ripping him movies in their quest to turn him into an "intelligent" actor. Don't see why they suddenly would fake religious comments.

    It could easily be a case of his success making him think he can now say whatever he wants. He has always been arrogant but this level of success I can easily see giving him a false sense of invincibility.

    We'll never know for sure but I can't help thinking he's a pretty disgusting guy from many angles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nia - I guess you didn't follow the thread. This SantaBanta (Actually a syndicated column of Sampurn Wire) interview is pre 2005. This has been updated with Kiran's name here and there.

    http://www.bollywhat-forum.com/index.php?topic=1139.0

    look for "Aamir Hussain Khan hails from a typically staunch"

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Don't see why they suddenly would fake religious comments."

    You are willing to believe the negative comment but not the positive link :)

    http://www.sabrang.com/cc/comold/august98/story.htm

    ReplyDelete
  20. "I don't think a comment like would be fine in isolation either. Wanting your kids to follow your religion is one thing but they are not just his kids..their mother is Hindu."

    That is why skepticism about that comment. If he had problem with Hindus then why marry again another Hindu? I am sure there are good girls in Muslim community?

    Most of the inter religion marriages I have seen, normally are liberal in what to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "We'll never know for sure but I can't help thinking he's a pretty disgusting guy from many angles."
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. "Besides how can one forget the midget hero Aamir Khan’s earlier film Sarfarosh and the last released patriotic saga Lagaan albeit being a little off track."

    from same author :)

    http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/entertainment/bollywoods-patriotic-films-to-comemmorate-the-63rd-independence-day-on-august-15-2010_100410473.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hats off to Aamir if he really intends to make his kids follow his faith! It takes a real man to do so esp if his wife does not follow the same. Aamir is a man with a backbone who knows the true meaning of being a good Muslim Father by teaching and passing on his religious beliefs to his kids. A true mussalMan in the filmy world of wannabe filmy secular men.
    Being Indian and Secular has nothing to with faith and religious beliefs. Mixing Religions for fame, brand promotion and a slave subservient to his wife/inlaws is Despicable.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Most liberal inter-religious marriages have the wife's religion dominant in the lives of the children. Men don't take parental interest in their upbringing or religious inclination. The kids are led to believe they are liberal but are coerced into following the mother's religion in the absence of a strong faith on the father's side. Aamir is a role model, a shining example of what a good Indian father should be. He is tolerant yet firm, fun loving yet disciplined, he is a close friend and a strict parent at the same time irrespective of whether he lives with their mother or not. If Aamir can do it all w/o even living with his kids 24/7 year round, other men who behave like kids make a lot of noise for living with/for their kids can do better.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Balle Balle hogiye Aamir Ki. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am not sure what a true Muslim or Hindu means? Everyone has a convenience level what they follow. More importantly one should be a good human being and most of the requirements of good Muslim or Hindu or any other religion will be met automatically!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh yeah, KB, seems like an old interview just with Kiran's name update :D

    Though Aamir's comment is still the same,
    "But of course I had made it very clear that my kids will always follow only Islamic religion"
    Now he might have never said that, but its in quotes, generally quote stuff they don't make up, because there can be legal implications, generally they have audio tape, on video, on some form of proof that the person actually said the quoted stuff.

    Though there is nothing wrong in a father wanting his kids to follow his religion, or following Islam, or Hindu or Scientology, only issue here is this forcefulness, I don't think kids should be forced to follow any religion even in the case when both parents are from the same religion.

    And when Aamir says that he made a point that his kids follow only his religion, I think this automatically means that he believes that everything else is wrong.

    As far as marrying a Hindu is concerned, unless its a court marriage, no way a Hindu and Muslim can marry according to Islamic marriage law or Hindu marriage act. Either Kiran and Reena converted to Islam or Aamir converted to Hinduism if they have a traditional marriage, if its court marriage, then yes it can happen in different religion.

    Also, there is this huge thing in a few religions, that you can marry the daughter of a different religion, but you can not marry your daughter in a different religion.

    ReplyDelete
  28. " generally they have audio tape, on video, on some form of proof that the person actually said the quoted stuff. "
    You haven't read Stardust?

    ReplyDelete
  29. hahah abelieve me or not, no I haven;t :D
    But if you think that they actually make up quotes, may be you are right

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is not about believe. Some interviews are genuine but there are many, just for gossip. Like the deepika one :) .

    Even this interview for most part is mundane except the last line contradicts everything above or any previous interview.

    ReplyDelete
  31. He can be "secular" and want to marry a Hindu woman, but if he still follows his own faith then that has some value for him. I see no contradiction, if he says he wants his children to be brought up Muslim. Did his wife not have a say? She could have stuck to her guns and said they should be Hindu or both. But honestly speaking, can anyone follow Hinduism and Islam BOTH? That seems impossible to me.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think interviews tend to be genuine, even in the terrible desi entertainment media. I fully believe the Deepika Mid-day one. She has always been using her personal life to get publicity so nothing new and it came at the perfect time of her movie release.

    Also, you can easily tell what is made-up because they generally resort to "a source said" type of thing to avoid any responsibility.

    If some article had said "A source said Aamir Khan only wants his kids to follow Islam" it would be much more easy to dismiss.

    Pardesi, I don't think anyone is saying kids should follow both religions. It's the WAY the sentence was said that they had no other choice even though their own mother is Hindu. Not only does it sound religiously fanatical, it is also male chauvinism. It is even more egregious since he does not even have custody of those children..though OFC some fans like Pooja here will always worship him.

    As far as that author showing bias by calling Aamir "midget actor" what's wrong in that? :P If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's usually a duck. Same as for Aamir and midget. :P (I am just kidding folks.. I hope the Aamir fanatics don't come after me with pitchforks)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I agree that the statement sounds harsh and even fanatical, but maybe the tone of that was altered by the author. His wife obviously agreed to the terms as a price for marrying AAMIR!

    ReplyDelete
  34. LOL. Why the heck would anyone agree to ANY terms to marry such a bone-crushingly boring little man. :P

    But in all seriousness, the less said about the women who agree to these types of things, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yup - and maybe she was just as bone crushingly boring, though not so short....

    ReplyDelete
  36. Even if true i find this statement pretty much inline with say when a Father/Parent says:

    "I want my children to be Doctor,Engineer or Lawyer or etc only.

    I want Arranged marriage only.

    I want you to marry in your caste/religion only"

    Or other things in that situation, haven't those also caused uncountable mishaps and deaths too?

    Even my parents wanted me to be Doctor or Engineer though. :)

    So why single out this.

    All this comes with a mindset which has been inculcated along many generations.

    Abrahamic Religions usually have a stricter code of Adherence especially as far as rejection of other Gods and Deities and more emphasis on Monotheism.

    Islam usually allows inter-mingling to certain extent between People of the Book only(Muslims,Christians and Jews) only.

    Dharmic religions(Hinduism,Sikhism,Jainism,Bhuddhism) on the other hand tend to be all encompassing though there are many elements of fanaticism there too.

    So the wives either convert to Islam unless its official marriage.

    I have had friends who are wonderful people but with 100% faith in their religion only.(ie Islam).

    Only thing here is about the hypocrisy(wife Hindu ie) of the situation but then we are not fully aware of the details(ie the wife herself might be a convert, how do we know?).

    Does anyone know that Dharmendra converted to Islam(ie as Dilawar Khan) when he actually had 2 marriages in between ie, :D

    Also these are kinds of things which many people do think in their mind but rarely say i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yes, Doga, well said. For all we know the wives may have converted and it was never made public.

    ReplyDelete
  38. he is a sucker must be kicked to pakistan...

    ReplyDelete
  39. आमिर की पत्नी किरण राव, गाना गाएंगी मराठी में
    readmore todaynews18.com https://goo.gl/Nq4Vue

    ReplyDelete