Tuesday, December 7, 2010

This is not potty humor! From the Minoans to the Caliphate (part 2 of 3)

My travels in Turkey and Greece reminded me that I had NOT continued my series on toilets and bathrooms around the world!  So I paid special attention to these attractions this time around.  Surprisingly sophisticated facilities were found wherever I went, be it the Sultan’s harem at the Topkapi palace or the ruins of Ephesus.
At the entrance to Ephesus one is greeted by piles upon piles of clay pipes, a testimonial to the advanced drainage system the Greeks and Romans had.
Clay pipes at Ephesus

Walking down the royal highway past many monuments including the statue of Nike, the symbol of Caduceus, Hadrian’s temple, one rounds the bend and comes upon the most significant monument of Ephesus – the towering library of Celsus!

The Library of Celsus
One can imagine the noblemen riding their horses towards this imposing structure and past it to the gigantic coliseum. But these noblemen made a couple of stops along the way.

Read more HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment